I love Fall.
I’m excited for leggings, booties, scarves & hot beverages. Especially pumpkin spiced EVERYTHINGGGG. For some of you, though, this month marks the start of a new chapter in your life. How exciting!!! (I totally wrote this intro weeks ago. Meh, it’s staying! lol)
As per my last post, I opened up about my relationship with food.
I’ve been kinda MIA the past few
weeks month. Taking a break from social media has been amazing for my mental health. I mean I upload the occasional IG/Facebook post & all that good stuff, but I don’t feel forced or compelled to post something just for the sake of it. I’m actually doing really well, &, for the first time in years, I can honestly say that I’m finding happiness everyday.
Finding balance in my fitness journey has been one of my biggest struggles EVER, but I’m slowly improving & I feel so much more in tune with my body mentally & physically.
So how am I doing it? Let me count the ways!
1. I’m taking an antidepressant. I’ve resisted this method of help for years. I assumed I could take care of myself “naturally,” but I was actually stigmatizing myself for having a mental illness. It sounds awful because I work with people who seek out mental health services. But I know those people are sick. I know it’s real. However, I could never convince myself that I was sick too. While you may never have to take an antidepressant, please recognize that adopting a healthier lifestyle doesn’t mean you’ll never get sick or have to take medication. Listen to your doctors & never be ashamed to ask for help.
2. I look at exercise differently. If you’re just embarking on this new adventure in your life, you probably view exercise strictly as a weight loss method. It’s perfectly natural to think this, heck, that’s what I thought to! But things are different now. When I exercise, I do it for my mental health. I do cardio for my heart, strength training to take care of my muscles & bones, & well it’s a no-brainer my niche is yoga & Pilates. I practice these because I just love it 🙂 I suggest that you find something that gets you moving but it’s something you LOVE. For example, I hate running. Therefore, I never run. Easy as pie!!
3. I no longer follow any sort of set schedule or routine. I’ve tried doing this SO many times & it never works. If I missed my specific workout for that day, my week just took a turn for the worst. It was just awful & not a healthy way to be. Now I do whatever I feel like! Sometimes I walk into the gym with all intentions of attending BodyAttack but when I get there I change my mind & do a PIIT workout instead. I think this one depends on your personality & whether or not you like routine, but this definitely didn’t work for me.
4. I stopped reading nonsense online & I don’t want you to start. Eat foods that make you feel good on the inside, plain & simple. If you hate celery, don’t force yourself to eat it. Sure, there’s 100’s of articles claiming how celery is amazing & you MUST eat it because it burns more calories digesting than it contains but what the heck is the point if you’re gagging the entire time??!! Just DON’T eat it. Seriously, if I see one more article online on “10 healthy foods to eat everyday,” I’ll start ripping hairs out of my head. When contemplating a “diet,” ask yourself: can I maintain this lifestyle forever? If the answer is no, byeeeeee Felicia….!
5. I learned that fitness models are not role models. Do you have a fitspo you look to for goal body inspiration? Yes? Unfollow (yup, even if it’s me). I’ve gone a little more into detail about fitspos in this post but, in my personal opinion, fitspos are dangerous. Folks, our bodies are AMAZING & one of the best things about them is that they are ALL DIFFERENT. Even though we are humans, our bodies are so incredibly diverse from person to person. They require different needs. Your only “goal body,” should be your own. Never someone else’s…because whether you want to hear this or not, you’ll never get that body. Learn to love yours.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post! I definitely want to post more often, but sometimes I just don’t know what to talk about! Today, I felt a little inspired 🙂 If you have a topic you’d like me to delve into a bit more, feel free to make your voice heard! Sometimes I forget that real people actually read my blog & they look forward to the next post 😉
Thanks for reading,